Velys Robotic-Assisted Solution for Knee Replacement
What is VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution for Knee Replacement?
VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution for knee replacement is a novel, state-of-the-art knee system that simplifies total knee arthroplasty, commonly known as total knee replacement surgery, by offering valuable insights, versatile execution, and verified performance to provide efficiency for surgeons and optimize patient outcomes.
There is a growing trend to utilize robotic assistance for joint replacement procedures for increased precision and accuracy. However, the effect of robotic technology on surgical efficiency, including operative time and the technological learning curve, has been described as a drawback.
The VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution has been developed to respond to this drawback as a first-of-its-kind surgical table-mounted solution that adapts to the surgeon’s workflow and utilizes advanced planning abilities, proprietary technology, and a next-generation design to assist surgeons to precisely cut bones that align and position the implant in relation to the soft-tissue during total knee arthroplasty without requiring pre-operative imaging. The compact and efficient design integrates into any operating room with its much smaller design that is less than half the size of some other robotic-assisted system.
The VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution works exclusively with the ATTUNE Knee System, which studies have reported can improve patient-reported outcomes, clinical outcomes, as well as contribute to a shorter hospital stay. Supporting the “patient-specific alignment” operative method, VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution has also been designed to help surgeons in offering a knee alignment that is tailored to each individual’s specific knee anatomy. Together with the ATTUNE® Knee System, VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted System provides solutions to help personalize the knee replacement process with surgical planning, surgical implementation, preoperative patient engagement, and post-operative support.
Key Features of VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution for Knee Replacement
The VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution makes knee arthroplasty surgery much simpler by providing:
- Valuable Insights: Gap balance data to assist surgeons to visualize and predict the stability of the joint
- Versatile Execution: Instinctive and integrated design to provide surgeons with the control they are used to while optimizing daily patient OR flow
- Verified Performance: Consistent and accurate plan execution supporting the ATTUNE Knee in offering superior patient outcomes
Indications for VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution for Knee Replacement
The VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution is indicated for use with the ATTUNE® Knee System for total knee arthroplasty. Total knee replacement, also called total knee arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure in which the worn out or damaged surfaces of the knee joint are removed and replaced with an artificial prosthesis.
Your surgeon may recommend VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution for knee replacement if you have one or more of the following conditions:
- Chronic progressive joint diseases, such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Severe trauma/fracture to the knee joint
- Increased pain in the affected knee
- Knee instability or a feeling of giving way while walking
- Stiffness in the knee
- Non-surgical treatment options have failed to relieve your symptoms
Preparation for VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution for Knee Replacement
Preoperative preparation for VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution for knee replacement may involve the following steps:
- A thorough examination is performed by your doctor to check for any medical issues that need to be addressed prior to surgery.
- Depending on your medical history, social history, and age, you may need to undergo tests such as blood work and imaging to help detect any abnormalities that could compromise the safety of the procedure.
- You will be asked if you have allergies to medications, anesthesia, or latex.
- You should inform your doctor of any medications, vitamins, or supplements you are taking or any conditions you have such as heart or lung disease.
- You may need to refrain from medications such as blood thinners or anti-inflammatories for 1 to 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Refrain from smoking at least a few weeks before surgery and several weeks after, as it can hinder the healing process.
- You should not consume any solids or liquids at least 8 hours prior to surgery.
- You should arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery.
- A signed informed consent form will be obtained from you after the pros and cons of the surgery has been explained.
Procedure for VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution for Knee Replacement
In general, VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution for total knee replacement is performed under general anesthesia in conjunction with the ATTUNE® Knee System that is similar to a traditional total knee replacement, but performed with the help of a robotic assistant. The robotic system does not perform the procedure on its own. The surgery is performed entirely by your surgeon by prompting the robotic hands as per the personalized plan developed by your surgeon. The VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution is only an additional tool to guide your surgeon to ensure greater accuracy in the placement of knee implants. It cannot replace the skills of your experienced surgeon.
During the surgery, arthritic bone and cartilage are removed from the knee and replaced with anatomically shaped metal and plastic components impacted onto the bone or fixed using polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) cement. A high-speed camera, triple-drive motion technology, and hydrophobic optical reflectors of the VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution work together to adjust and control the resection plane for accurate, consistent execution. Pre-resection assessment of knee alignment and predicted gap balance help plan optimal ATTUNE Knee implant position and predict joint stability. Coupled with the ATTUNE Total Knee, the VELYS robotic-assisted solution is extremely differentiated and can provide improved clinical outcomes and greater patient satisfaction. The robotic system makes adjustments even with the slightest movement of your legs ensuring the surgical plan designed by your surgeon is carried out without any changes and with a high degree of precision. Throughout the procedure, your surgeon is provided with real-time data by the VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution, which enhances your surgeon’s skill enabling accurate placement of the knee implant.
Postoperative Care and Recovery
In general, postoperative care instructions and recovery after VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution for knee arthroplasty may involve the following steps:
- You will be transferred to the recovery area where your nurse will monitor your vital signs as your recover from the effects of anesthesia.
- You may notice some pain, swelling, and discomfort in the knee area. Pain and anti-inflammatory medications are provided as needed.
- Antibiotics are also prescribed to address the risk of surgery-related infection.
- You are encouraged to walk with assistance as frequently as possible around the hospital bed to prevent the risk of blood clots.
- Instructions on surgical site care and bathing will be provided to keep the wound clean and dry.
- You will be placed on crutches for the first few weeks with instructions on restricted weight-bearing.
- You are advised to keep your leg elevated above the heart level for a defined period while resting to prevent swelling and pain.
- Eating a healthy diet rich in vitamin D is strongly advised to promote healing and a faster recovery.
- Use of a continuous passive motion machine (CPM) at home may be advised in the first few weeks to aid in the constant movement of the knee joint under a controlled range of motion.
- Refrain from strenuous activities and lifting heavy weights for the first couple of months. A gradual increase in activities over a period of time is recommended.
- An individualized physical therapy protocol is designed to help strengthen your knee muscles and optimize knee function.
- You should be able to resume your normal activities in a couple of months, but with certain activity restrictions. Return to sports may take 6 months or longer.
- Refrain from driving until you are fully fit and receive your doctor’s consent.
- A periodic follow-up appointment will be scheduled to monitor your progress.
Benefits of VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution for Knee Replacement
The benefits of VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution for knee replacement include:
- Smaller incisions
- Rapid recovery
- Precise placement of the implant
- Reduced injury to adjacent tissues
- Increased longevity of the implant
- Shorter hospital stay
- Increased patient satisfaction
- Minimal complications
Risks and Complications
VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution for knee replacement is a relatively safe procedure; however, as with any surgery, some risks and complications may occur, such as the following:
- Blood clots or deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Injury to nerves or blood vessels
- Stiffness or instability in the knee
- Implant wear and loosening
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia